Woman Found Dead In Dorm

Woman Found Dead In Dorm

An unidentified 21-year-old woman was found dead in a dormitory room at N.Y.C's Columbia University on Sunday morning.

Although nothing is confirmed, authorities believe it could be from a possible drug-overdose.

Story Below:

MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS — A 21-year-old former student was found dead Sunday morning in a Columbia University dormitory, according to police.

The one-time student, who was not identified immediately, was found at 11:48 a.m. inside the East Campus Residence Hall on Morningside Drive, the largest and most desirable dorm at Columbia, according to a campus wiki.

Police responded to a 911 call for assistance, and found the young woman unconscious and unresponsive, lying face up on the floor, police said. EMS later determined she was dead at the scene.

Several students at the dormitory, which includes a large high-rise housing complex as well as a series of interconnected low-rise townhouses, said they heard that the woman was found in the hallway, and was visiting friends at the dorm, but wasn't a current student.

Saturday nights are typically a party night for students in the residence hall, one resident pointed out.

"I don't remember anything special," said Henry Sohn. "Loud music. It died out around 3 or 4."

Some students were shaken by the incident, like John Yetimogolu, a senior who lives in the dorms. "It's super bizarre," he said. Through friends, he had heard the woman was a former student who was taking time off from college, but visiting friends on campus.

Henry Flager, also a senior, said he learned about the incident from a campuswide e-mail sent at 6:30 p.m.

"It's just strange to me that it took them seven hours to release anything," said Flager. "I came back from the gym this morning and there were cops in the lobby."

"It's definitely strange," he added.

The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death, police said. The woman's identity had not be released pending family notification.

No arrests had been made early Sunday evening, and police said an investigation was ongoing.

Officials from Columbia University did not return calls immediately on Sunday evening.



Follow me on Twitter - @rasheid825

Views 896